YACA contributes to the school by building community among Yinghua families, fundraising for students and parent education, and coordinating volunteer needs.
- 2018/19 YACA Calendar of Events
- General Volunteer Needs
- Classroom Coordinators
- Jiātíng (家庭) Ambassadors
Used Uniform Sales
Gently used uniforms items are $2. We host sales at the Kindergarten Play Date in early August, Meet Your Teacher in late August, and the YACA General Meeting & Election in early May.
Get ready for Spirit Wear Fridays! Through YACA you can purchase Unique Yinghua Academy (YA) clothing and merchandise for students, staff, and parents with a percentage of sales returning to the school! Older merchandise is for sale in the school office. New merchandise can be ordered online on special occasions such as the Kindergarten Play Date, Meet Your Teacher, Grandparents’ Day, and Chinese New Year. Every Friday, students may wear a spirit wear top instead of the blue or red uniform top!
EVENTS & FUNDRAISERS
Parkway Pizza Days – Every 4th Tuesday @ the Johnson St. location 5% of sales go to Yinghua!
- Confucius Day / Teacher Appreciation Day at Yinghua Teachers are highly regarded in Chinese society, and the Chinese consider Confucius to be a paragon of all teachers. Confucius believed in education without discrimination. As such, his birthday, September 28, also called Confucius Day, is celebrated as a teacher appreciation day at Yinghua Academy. On this special day, teachers are recognized and thanked for their contributions to their students’ lives and to the community at large. Here is a template children can use to create a thank you card for a teacher: Thank you, teacher!
- The Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节, zhōng qiū jié) is held on the fifteenth day of the eighth month in the Lunar Calendar. The holiday takes its name from the fact that it’s celebrated in the middle of autumn, when the moon is at its fullest and brightest. The holiday is also known as the “Moon Festival.” Chinese believe a full moon is a symbol of peace, prosperity, and family reunion. Therefore, the date is also commonly referred to as the “Day of Reunion” and is a time when family members gather together to celebrate the festival. In 2018 the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival falls on Monday, September 24 and Yinghua is celebrating it on that day. Letter to families about Mid-Autumn Festival
- Grandparents’ Day – One of the important cultural events at Yinghua Academy is our celebration of Grandparents’ Day (重阳敬老节) which is tied to the Chinese Elders’ Day celebration on the ninth day of the ninth lunar month. This festival is also known as “Double Ninth Day,”(重阳节) and the date is special because the word for the number nine in Chinese is a homonym for longevity. Overall, the holiday encourages young people to respect their grandparents and elders. At Yinghua, we celebrate “Double Ninth Day” because we know that grandparents and other role models are critical to students’ success in school and in life. Families with grandparents living abroad or very far away are welcome to invite an elder family member or elder friend of the family, for instance, in lieu of a grandparent. We are not able to include Yinghua parents as guests unless a grandparent needs assistance for mobility or special needs or the parent is serving as an event volunteer worker.
- Read-A-Thon – The annual Read-A-Thon runs over a ten-day period in late October. Reading is one facet of this event and raising money is another. This is a fantastic opportunity to involve students in fundraising for our school. It’s amazing how generous grandparents, friends, family members and neighbors can be. Here’s how it works: We ask that students record their reading minutes and collect donations for ten days. We strive for 100% student participation, and hope that all students will reach the 300-minute mark. YACA recognizes successes in three grade divisions: Kindergarten-1st, 2nd-4th, and 5th-8th. Winning students’ names are added to the school’s Read-A-Thon plaques on display near the library. Top readers can earn Usborne gift cards. All reading counts–Sunday comics in the newspaper, audio books, etc.! All this reading can be recorded. Donations may be collected in person or made online via the school’s Core Commerce site.
- Book Fair – The Fall Book Fair is held in the school cafeteria during conferences. Stop by to browse a wide selection of books from Scholastic and Usborne booksellers, as well as Chinese books from China Sprout.
- Chinese New Year – Chinese New Year (CNY), also known as Lunar New Year, or “Spring Festival,” is an important Chinese holiday celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar. At Yinghua we put on excellent performances to celebrate this non-religious holiday. 2019 CNY Information
- Kindergarten Chinese New Year “Encore” Performance – For several years the school has held an “encore” CNY performance by kindergarten classes. The purpose is to allow you to see the wonderful costumed acts once more, or to extend the viewing to more friends and family members since seating is limited at the main performances.
- Book Fairs – The Spring Book Fair is held in the school cafeteria during conferences. Stop by to browse a wide selection of books from Scholastic and Usborne booksellers, as well as Chinese books from China Sprout. Books in Chinese and English are available, and there are online ordering options. All sales benefit the school: Proceeds are used to purchase books and other items for the media center and to fulfill teacher wish lists for classroom libraries.
- Ying-Fling – A volunteer-led fundraiser and friend-raiser for Yinghua. You can support this event by helping gather auction donations. 2019 Donation Letter and Form. Contact email@example.com to help with the event.
- School Tool Box Sale – Save time and purchase school supplies through School Tool Box. The Boxes are delivered to school in late August. Yinghua earns $5 per box.
- Field Day/Last Day of School – The last day of school at Yinghua is Field Day, a full day of school with lots of outdoor activities for students. Outdoor activities typically run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. although classroom teachers may decide not to spend the full day outside. Lower School activities typically are held in the Northeast Athletic Fields, next to the school though Middle School students may walk to nearby Beltrami Park. Each class typically is assigned an Olympic country for the day. Parents are encouraged to attend as spectators and as volunteers!
- YACA General Membership Meetings typically occur in the month of May and include a Used Uniform Sale, YACA Board elections, and a guest speaker. Everyone is invited to attend. The 2018 guest speaker was Dr. Jules Nolan. Read her handouts on Social Emotional Learning and School Success.
- Dragon Festival at Lake Phalen in St. Paul Yinghua parents and other volunteers enjoy participating in the annual Dragon Festival at Lake Phalen. Yinghua encourages you to volunteer to participate as a paddler or as part of the cheering crowd. Yinghua’s 2018 team earned 3rd place! Read about the upcoming race on Sunday, July 14, 2019: 2019 Dragon Festival Information.
- Box Tops for Education – Clip and save Box Tops to earn cash for Yinghua. Find Box Tops on hundreds of products throughout the grocery store and online. Learn more and register at boxtops4education.com.
- Mabel’s Labels – Mabel’s Labels donates 20% of your total purchase to Yinghua if you designate us as your school.