YACA contributes to the school by building community among Yinghua families, fundraising for students and parent education, and coordinating volunteer needs.
In Spring 2018, YACA would like to host a fund/friendraiser party for the school. If you’re interested in helping with food and beverage, entertainment, silent auction or other event-planning tasks, please contact email@example.com. She will connect you with the event leaders.
Used Uniform Sales
Gently used uniforms items are $2. We have sales at Kindergarten Play Date in early August, Meet Your Teacher Night in late August YACA General Meeting & Election in early May.
Get ready for Spirit Wear Fridays! Unique Yinghua Academy (YA) clothing/merchandise for students, staff, and parents with a percentage of sales returning to the school! Older merchandise is for sale in the school office. New merchandise can be ordered on special occasions (K Playdate, Meet Your Teacher, Grandparents Day, Chinese New Year, & etc.) from our new distributor Monkey in A Dryer. Every Friday, students may wear a spirit wear top instead of the blue or red uniform top!
EVENTS & FUNDRAISERS
Parkway Pizza Days – Every 4th Tuesday @ the Johnson St. location 5% of sales goes to Yinghua!
- Teacher Appreciation/Confucius Day/Mid Autumn Moon Festival – Teachers are highly regarded in Chinese society, and the Chinese consider Confucius to be a paragon of all teachers. Confucius believed in education without discrimination. As such, his birthday September 28, also called Confucius Day, is celebrated as a teacher appreciation day at Yinghua Academy. On this special day, teachers are recognized and thanked for their contributions to their students’ lives and to the community at large. The Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节, zhōng qiū jié) is held on the fifteenth day of the eighth month in the Lunar Calendar. The holiday takes its name from the fact that it’s celebrated in the middle of autumn, when the moon is at its fullest and brightest. The holiday is also known as the “Moon Festival.” Chinese believe a full moon is a symbol of peace, prosperity, and family reunion. Therefore, the date is also commonly referred to as the “Day of Reunion” and is a time when family members gather together to celebrate the festival. In 2017 the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival falls on Wednesday, October 4, however Yinghua is celebrating it on Tuesday, October 3, 2017.
- Grandparents’ Day – One of the important cultural events at Yinghua Academy is our celebration of Grandparents’ Day (重阳敬老节) which is tied to the Chinese Elders’ Day celebration on the ninth day of the ninth lunar month. This festival is also known as “Double Ninth Day,”(重阳节) and the date is special because the word for the number nine in Chinese is a homonym for longevity. Overall, the holiday encourages young people to respect their grandparents and elders. At Yinghua, we celebrate “Double Ninth Day” because we know that grandparents and other role models are critical to students’ success in school and in life. Families with grandparents living abroad or very far away are welcome to invite an elder family member or elder friend of the family, for instance, in lieu of a grandparent. We are not able to include Yinghua parents as guests unless a grandparent needs assistance for mobility or special needs or the parent is serving as an event volunteer worker. We will invite the K-2 grade grandparents to the school on Friday October 5, 2017.
- Read-A-Thon – The Read-A-Thon runs from Friday, October 13 through Sunday, October 23. Reading is one facet of this event and raising money is another. This is a fantastic opportunity to involve students in fundraising for our school. Our goal is to collect $30 from each student. It’s amazing how generous grandparents, friends, family members and neighbors can be. Employers often have non-profit donation matching programs too. Here’s how it works: We ask that students record their reading minutes and collect donations for 10 days. Envelopes with the reading log, donation form and donations should be turned in on time. In addition to trophies awarded for most minutes read and most money raised in the three grade divisions, Kindergarten-1st, 2nd-4th and 5th-8th, winning students’ names will be added to Read-A-Thon plaques on display at the school. Traveling classroom trophies are up for grabs for the top-earning and -reading classes. All participants will receive a certificate and award. Usborne gift cards will be given away to three qualifying students.We strive for 100% participation. Every student at Yinghua reads or is read to. Time spent on Lexia counts. Reading books for Accelerated Reader tests qualifies. Get a jump start on the Battle of the Books list. If you are traveling for fall break, download an audio book for the car ride. Read the comics to your child this Sunday. All this reading can be recorded. Reading just 30 minutes a day will achieve the 300 minute goal. Donations also may be made online via the school’s Core Commerce site.
- Book Fair – Book Fairs will be held in the cafeteria during the week of conferences in fall and spring. Stop by to browse a wide selection of books from Scholastic and Usborne booksellers, as well as Chinese books from China Sprout. First book fair of the year is October 17 -19.
- Special Guest Speaker – Tara Fortune, Director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA), will be speaking at Yinghua on December 16 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. to share the latest and most exciting trends in immersion-education research with Yinghua parents.
- Chinese New Year – Chinese New Year, also known as the “Spring Festival” in modern China, is an important Chinese festival celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar. At Yinghua we put on excellent performances to celebrate the non-religious holiday. Our performance will be on Saturday, February 24th, 2017.
- Kindergarten Chinese New York Encore Performance – For several years the school has held an “encore” performance by kindergarten classes. The purpose is to allow more family members to view the performance since seating is often limited at the Bethel performances. We also use this event to explain and promote the Red Envelope Campaign. The date set for this event is Friday, March 2, 2018.
- Book Fair – YACA hosts two book fairs each year, during Fall and Spring conferences. Books in Chinese and English are sold in the cafeteria and online (Scholastic only), and all sales benefit the school: proceeds are used to purchase books and other items for the media center and to fulfill teacher wish lists for classroom libraries.
- School Tool Box Sale – Save time and purchase school supplies through School Tool Box. The Boxes are delivered to school in late August. Yinghua earns $5 per box.
- Field Day/Last Day of School – Friday June 8, 2018, is a full day of school, but Field Day at Yinghua Academy is a fun-filled day of outdoor activities for the whole school. Outdoor activities typically run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. although classroom teachers may decide not to spend the full day outside. Lower School activities typically are held at NE Park outside of school, while Middle School students may walk to nearby Beltrami Park. Each class usually is assigned an Olympic Country for the day. Teachers and staff determine how many activity rotations their students will do and when these will occur. Parents are encouraged to attend as spectators and as volunteers!
- Summer Play Dates – Jim Lupient Pool in July and Kindergarten play date at the YA Playground in August.
- School Boxtops – Clip General Mills box tops for cash. Purchase your everyday items online through the general mills box top website, and earn cash from the sale to go to YA. Learn more and register at boxtops4education.com
- Mabel’s Labels – The leading provider of labels for the stuff kids lose! Yinghua gets 20% of the sales.